Monday, February 20, 2012

First Try: Homemade Crumbs Topping Coffee Cake

I remember that one Saturday afternoon that I was craving sweet like usual at midtown Manhattan and I happened to discover this little but very crowded cafe/bakery called little brown. I stepped in to buy myself a cup of dark hot chocolate and a piece of their homemade crumbles coffee cake, thinking that coffee cake has coffee inside...

I absolutely love the coffee cake and was surprised that it almost had no coffee flavor inside so I did a little research and discovered that coffee cake is a kind of cake that is good to go with coffee but does not really have any coffee in the cake itself.

I was so in love with the coffee cake, I decided to try to make it myself. Here is the result and the recipe

Cake:

  • 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
  • 1/3 cup melted butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Crumbs:

Totally lost track of measurements but I believe I used...

  • 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract

The cake turned out to be okay but not as moist as I would like it to be. I also believe that there's some sort of apple flavor in the homemade coffee cake that I have tried at Little Brown, so I may try to find another recipe and see how that I can improve.